Sunday, October 30, 2016


The Spitzer Art Center is sponsoring an event for Dia de los Muertos.

Community artists (like me) are creating panels that serve as "an ode to a lost loved one." There will be an opening reception at Pale Fire Brewing on Friday, November 4 from 5-8pm. The show will be on display for the month of November.

This blog documents the story of my creation in honor of Leighton Shank, a dear friend who is still missed.  

I am titling the work "Balasana Juxtaposition." 

Balasana (child's pose): The idea of balasana is quite literal: Leighton and I became friends through regular yoga practice. Child's pose is the place one can come to any time during class for restoration. 

Juxtaposition: I learned much from Leighton in life by comparing and contrasting our approaches to problem solving. There are multiple juxtapositions happening for me in this piece, including past and present; mutability and immutability; solidity and emptiness. I invite you to discover your own.